Nov 22, 2010

The Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus) M 65-78 cm; F 41-46 cm

My encounter with this pair of male and female Red Jungle Fowls was totally unexpected but a most pleasant surprise. Whilst on a  'routine' birding trip I could hear the male crowing at regular intervals inside the thicket of the forest. I did not think too much about it as under normal circumstances this 'shy' specie will not show itself if they detect human presence. I continued what I was doing per normal when to my surprise and delight out strolled the male and the female hen followed a short while later! My estimation is I was just under 40-50 meters from both of them. It is most unusual that both fowls upon seeing me did not try to run back to the forest (which they would normally do) but instead stayed calm and continued to forage in the small clearing at the edge of the forest!  

I directed my camera their way and started shooting the 'bonus' shots of the day! The usual habitat of Red Jungle Fowls are around the forest edge or open woodland, up to approx 1800 meters above sea level.

Here are 2 photos for sharing.




Cheers and have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment