Apr 21, 2011

Meal time for the Crested Goshawk ( Accipiter trivirgatus ) 40-46 cm

I was walking under some tall trees when an unmistakable call came from one of the branches just overhead. Instinctively I gazed up. Nothing. Only the rapid movement of the leaves could be seen, stirred by a strong breeze which has just swept through the area. I continued to search, my eyes moving rapidly from branch to branch. And finally there she was, perched on one of the upper branches. Hey she is holding something with her talons. I reached for my binoculars to get a better look. It was a squirrel! It had become a meal for this nursing raptor. 

Like a dutiful mother she continued to call out to the two juveniles which had fledged just 2 weeks ago to come out of hiding and have some of the meat. Here are a couple of photos for sharing.




Have a great day! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment